Monday, August 16, 2021 / by Earl Gaddi
When it comes to choosing your flowers, in-season blooms will be less expensive and suit the time of year, while other varieties, such as roses and orchids, are available year-round. When selecting your blooms, you want to create a mix of complementary colours and varieties and add greenery for texture and a pop of colour. Don’t be afraid to play around with brighter colours, either! Floral arrangements can be a great accent piece for your home.
Select flowers that’ll draw your eye through the arrangement, like snapdragons, jasmine, and delphiniums. You’ll also want to include filler flowers to add mass and texture without stealing the show—think hydrangeas and viburnum. Big focal flowers are the stars of your arrangement, like garden roses, peonies, dahlias, and tulips.
Making your own bouquet can not only save money, it also allows you to customize the floral arrangement and make it unique to you! Use flowers you’ve grown at home or buy from a local flower shop for a more personal selection. Whether you’re looking to make a bouquet for yourself or for someone else, follow these simple steps:
- Select all of your flowers—the more variety the better!
- Choose a vase based on the type of flowers you plan to use, and the size and style of arrangement you want to create. Here’s a tip: generally, a vase should be about half the height of the flower stems.
- Using floral shears or sharp scissors, cut the stems at an angle about an inch from the bottom, though you may need to cut them shorter depending on the vase.
- Remove any leaves that will sit below the water level of the vase.
- Pour water into the vase. If your flowers came with a preservative solution, add them now!
- Add the largest flowers first, working in a circle and turning the vase as you go to make sure the arrangement is symmetrical.
- Layer in the next variety of flowers and repeat until all flowers have been added.
- Finish the arrangement by adding greenery.
And just like that, you have your very own beautiful bouquet and a reasonably inexpensive home floral arrangement you can take pride in!
Throwing out your stunning floral arrangement is heartbreaking. So, how does one go about maintaining one for more than a few days?
No matter the season, a beautiful floral arrangement can brighten and liven any room. While it’s best to avoid putting your flowers in direct sunlight, floral arrangements essentially look great in most rooms. Pick a place where they’ll be admired and viewed frequently, like in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom.